fbpx

Are Your Writing Fears Holding You Back?

//Are Your Writing Fears Holding You Back?

Are Your Writing Fears Holding You Back?

Are you struggling to write? It could be fear that is holding you back. But you can overcome your writing fears if you are willing to face them.

It will take courage, but you are a writer so I know you have that!

Instead of hiding from writing fears and ignoring them, they must be faced. How do you face your fears?

Well, you start by calling them out.

Harry Potter called Voldemort by his name. Dumbledore even told him that fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself. If we want to be one step closer to overcoming our writing fears, we need to name them.

Are Your Writing Fears Holding You Back?

Are Your Writing Fears Holding You Back? www.thewritingpal.com

So, I’m going to take a risk and share with you some of my biggest writing fears. It is not my intention for your confidence in me to waver. I know I am a good writer. I know I have knowledge and information to share. But sometimes my fears get in the way. So, I’m empowering myself and taking control of my fears, by calling them out and sharing them with you.

My Writing Fears

1. I’m afraid I’ll never be published.
  2. I’m afraid my writing isn’t good enough.
  3. I’m afraid I don’t have what it takes to stand out among millions of other writers.
  4. I’m afraid I don’t have the grit and determination to make my novel the best it can be.
  5. I’m afraid I don’t have all the knowledge to get through plot holes and create a solid, revised novel worthy of publication.

How Naming Them Helps

Now that I’m acknowledging these fears, I’m going to do everything in my power to beat them. Now that I know what they are, I’m going to fight them until I come out victorious. Just knowing what they are, seeing them written down,  and having that visual already makes them less scary.

Now, they are simply words on a screen. And I will not let them hold me back.

I’ll keep writing until I stand out, until I’m good enough. I’ll learn whatever I don’t currently know. And I’ll revise and revise and revise until I figure out how to create a seamless, compelling story. I’ve embarked on a writing journey with the goal of publishing a novel. I know the writer that I want to be. And knowing what fears are holding me back shows me exactly what I need to work on. I will not give up on my dream.

I hope you won’t give up on yours either.

Best of luck facing and conquering your writing fears.

You got this!

What are your writing fears? Comment below with your fears if it will help you face them!

Please follow and like:
By |2018-11-27T15:21:29-07:00March 16th, 2018|Writing Motivation|6 Comments

About the Author:

6 Comments

1. design bracelet March 18, 2018 at 3:50 am - Reply

Awesome article.

• Shelby March 19, 2018 at 1:41 pm - Reply

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it.

2. Linda March 31, 2018 at 10:22 pm - Reply

I am afraid I am waisting my time and I will miss out on something more important . I have so many stories in my head I really don’t know which one to work on. I have written a couple of children’s stories and had them published on Smashwords but not very successful because after I went back about a year later, I discovered they were TERRIBLE. Now my fear is waisting my time but I do have the time as I am no longer working. I just need to get to it. Thanks for letting me vent!!

• Shelby March 31, 2018 at 10:26 pm - Reply

Linda, I’m so glad you could share your fears with me. They are certainly valid! Writing is scary, and time is not something to be wasted. However, even writing something crappy isn’t a waste of time. I like to view it more as a stepping stone. You will learn so much and be one step closer to success with every moment you spend writing. Best of luck!

3. Stephanie April 1, 2018 at 4:44 pm - Reply

I’m afraid that my writing just has no purpose other than entertaining me. I’m worried that my family won’t support me when I set boundaries around my writing time. I’m afraid that my writing is only good enough for my friends and family. And what if this all turns out to be a waste of time?

You’re right. Voicing my concerns is cathartic.

• Shelby April 2, 2018 at 10:38 am - Reply

Stephanie, such valid concerns! Of course you want your writing to have a purpose! I’d figure out what purpose that is, and make goals to obtain the purpose you want for your writing. Setting boundaries with family can be hard, but it is important. Good luck! Deep down, I don’t think writing is ever a waste of time, but I worry the same thing sometimes. I try to tell myself any writing is better than not writing. It’s all a stepping stone to the polished, revised writing that will be worth publishing. You got this!